I always enjoy Trader Joe’s! It is cozy, the employees are friendly, the amazing snacks make you think eating healthy might actually be pleasurable and the prices are reasonable!…BUT, not everything is organic!
Trader Joe’s keeps its business practices very secretive which is a large concern to the entire food community.
TJ Product Information
- Any product that has a “Trader Joe’s” label claims to be GMO-free by Trader Joe’s. (However, it is not “Non-GMO Project Verified” so I would still question it).
- Any “Trader Joe’s” products that have meat, dairy and fish do not claim to be GMO-free. (Stay away!)
All Other Brands
- If they do not have the “USDA Certified Organic” label or the “Non-GMO Project Verified” label and are made with ingredients that are high-risk crops for GMOs such as canola, corn, cotton, papaya, soy, sugar beets, zucchini, yellow summer squash and wheat, they most likely have GMOs.
This may sound complicated. So, if you love TJ, let’s see what you can really feel good about buying there…
TJ Shopping Suggestions
- Produce that is certified organic (preferably local and not wrapped in plastic)
- Meat and dairy products that are certified organic
- “Trader Joe’s” products that have the “USDA Certified Organic” label
- Certified organic frozen food
- Conventional items that have a “Non-GMO Project Verified” label
Other than that, I would be very cautious when buying anything else. They potentially have GMOs and artificial ingredients.
What NOT To Buy
- Non-organic products especially when they contain any of the high-risk crops listed above.
- “Trader Joe’s” products that contain meat, dairy or fish.
- Anything that says “made with organic ingredients” unless it has a “USDA Certified Organic” or “Non-GMO Project Verified” label. Products that have “Made with organic” can still have GMOs.
I always advise that you check the labels for everything you buy! It is only organic if it has a “USDA Certified Organic” label. Therefore, it is only free of GMOs with this label or the “Non-GMO Project Verified” label.
For more details on Trader Joe’s Product Information, go to: http://www.traderjoes.com/faqs/product-information
Important Take-away: Check your labels!!